U.S. Soccer Training Center Program
U.S. Soccer is conducting training sessions in conjunction with local clubs and state associations to identify players with Youth National Team potential. Training Centers (TC) will be conducted by a member of the U.S. Soccer National Team staff. TCs are a new platform designed to improve player identification, player development and coach development. Each TC will be administered by the Academy conference’s Technical Advisor, assisted by Academy coaches and National Team coaches. Most TCs will be aligned with the Youth National Team calendar to evaluate players before trips and camps. Top players from each Academy club at both age groups will be invited to attend the training sessions. Non-host coaches are encouraged to attend. After piloting the program during the 2008-09 season in large markets such as Chicago, New York and Los Angeles, positive feedback was given by both Academy players and coaches and has led to an increased number of TCs that continue to improve the everyday environment.
There are no fees for players to participate in the U.S. Soccer Training Centers, but players are responsible for their own travel and must be invited by a U.S. Soccer National Team coach or scout.
Local coaches are invited to attend to view the quality of a Youth National Team training session and evaluate local players.
- U.S. Soccer Training Centers are free, single-day player identification opportunities for local players with the most potential to train under the direction of U.S. Soccer Youth National Team coaches.
- Approximately 400 U.S. Soccer Training Centers are run per year around the country.
- Elite players from any team, club or organization are eligible to attend at no cost to the player.
- Gender: Boys and Girls
- Ages: 12 to 16 years old
- Each U.S. Soccer Training Center will feature a specific age group.
- U.S. Soccer National Team staff selects 30-45 players for each event.
- Local youth clubs, professional clubs, leagues or state associations provide the facility.
- U.S. Soccer Youth National Team staff runs the events with the assistance of host site staff.
- Youth and college coaches are welcome to attend and observe U.S. Soccer Youth National Team coaches in order to further their own development.
- Similar to Youth National Team training environments, attendance by parents and non-coach spectators is not permitted.