MNT May 22, 2016
#USAvPUR Starting Lineup Notes
- 4-4-2 (right to left: Brad Guzan, DeAndre Yedlin, Michael Orozco, John Brooks, Tim Ream; Perry Kitchen, Danny Williams, Alejandro Bedoya (capt.), Alfredo Morales; Bobby Wood, Paul Arriola
- The MNT deploys in a 4-4-2 diamond formation, with Danny Williams in front of the center backs and Alejandro Bedoya behind the forwards.
- A total of six players in today's team sheet are part of the 23-man group for Copa America Centenario: Alejandro Bedoya, John Brooks, Brad Guzan, Tim Howard, Darlington Nagbe and DeAndre Yedlin.
- Alejandro Bedoya wears the captains armband for the first time for either club or country. The FC Nantes midfielder has collected 45 caps and two goals for the Senior Team.
- After being named the No. 1 goalkeeper for the 2016 Copa America Centenario, Brad Guzan gets the start and will play the first 45 minutes.
- Hertha Berlin defender John Brooks makes his return to the USA lineup for the first time since Sept. 4, 2015, against Peru. Injuries prevented him from participating in National Team duty, while he became a regular starter for Hertha.
- Danny Williams gets the start, his first appearance since the friendly against Costa Rica last October. He had a stellar season for Reading, scoring a beauty that earned a nomination for Goal of the Year.
- Club Tijuana forward Paul Arriola earns his first cap and start. The former U-20 international scored against hosts New Zealand in the 2015 U-20 FIFA World Cup.
- Perry Kitchen gets his first start in earning his fourth cap for the United States. Having moved to Hearts in Scotland this March, this will be his third appearance this year.
- Geoff Cameron and Fabian Johnson did not travel to Bayamón as they continue to return towards full fitness. They will join the group in Dallas on Monday in advance of the friendly against Ecuador.