2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup
U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team vs. Colombia
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
U-20 MNT BATTLES COLOMBIA IN ROUND OF 16: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team will look to advance to the Quarterfinals at the 2015 FIFA Under-20 World Cup when it meets Colombia on Wednesday, June 10 at Wellington Regional Stadium in Wellington, New Zealand. The match will be broadcast live on FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports Go, Telemundo and NBC Universo with kickoff set for 3:30 a.m. ET. Fans can also follow the match live on twitter at @usscocer_ynt and @ussoccer_esp.
HOW WE GOT HERE: The USA finished second in Group A, after defeating Myanmar 2-1, overpowering New Zealand, 4-0 and dropping its final match to Ukraine, 0-3. Meanwhile, Colombia finished second in Group C with a 1-1-1 record, after it defeated Qatar (1-0), tied Senegal (1-1) and lost its final group match to Portugal (1-3).
Despite all six FIFA confederations being represented in the Round of 16, the USA is the sole CONCACAF team to advance to the knockout round, while Colombia joins Uruguay and Brazil as the three members of CONMEBOL in the Round of 16 after Argentina failed to advance.
- Five different players have accounted for the USA’s six goals in the tournament, matching the most ever in the competition. U.S. captain Emerson Hyndman has scored twice, while Maki Tall, Bradford Jamieson IV, Rubio Rubin, and Paul Arriola have scored one each.
- The other two times a USA U-20 World Cup team featured five different goal scorers was in 1993 and 2003.
- Hyndman, Zack Steffen, Marky Delgado, Cameron Carter-Vickers, and Kellyn Acosta are the only players to start all three of the USA’s matches thus far in New Zealand. Rubin, Jamieson IV, Joel Soñora and Gedion Zelalem have also appeared in all three matches as either starters or off the bench.
- All 18 field players saw minutes in the group stage.
- Steffen, Carter-Vickers and Acosta have played every minute of all three matches.
- The only players who have yet to see any action are goalkeepers Jeff Caldwell and Thomas Olsen.
- With goals against Myanmar and New Zealand, Hyndman became the first U.S. player to score in consecutive U-20 World Cup games since Jozy Altidore in 2007.
- Five different players have also accounted for the five assists: Carter-Vickers, Jamieson IV, Rubin, Zelalem, and Desevio Payne.
- Tall suffered an injury to his left foot during the USA’s first group match and has been ruled out for the remainder of the tournament. He was the second player lost due to injury following Russell Canouse, who was replaced by Conor Donovan days prior to the opening match of the tournament.
- Shaq Moore, Payne, Delgado, Jordan Allen, Matt Miazga and Acosta received one yellow card apiece during the group stage. If any of those players receives a second caution in the Round of 16 and the USA wins, the player will have to sit out a match, missing the USA’s quarterfinal game. All cautions are waived following the quarterfinal round.
- This is the USA’s 14th appearance in a FIFA U-20 World Cup. The USA’s best World Cup finish was a fourth-place performance at the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship in Saudi Arabia. That year the USA fell to Nigeria in overtime in the Semifinal before losing to Brazil, 2-0, in the Third/Fourth Place match.
- This is the ninth time in 14 appearances that a USA team has advanced out of the group stage.
- This is the first time the USA has advanced to the knockout stage since 2007, when the team defeated Uruguay in the Round of 16 and fell to Australia in the Quarterfinals.
- The USA did not make it out of group play in 2009, did not qualify for the 2011 tournament, and failed to advance from group play in 2013.
USA VS. COLOMBIA:
- Colombia has qualified for the U-20 World Cup on nine occasions. Its best finish was third place in the 2003 edition, when they defeated Argentina in the Third/Fourth Place match after losing to Spain in the Semifinals.
- Colombia has advanced to the Round of 16 in five U-20 World Cups: 2015, 2013, 2011, 2005, and 2003.
- In 2013, Colombia was eliminated in the Round of 16 by South Korea on penalty kicks after tying 1-1 through overtime. As hosts in 2011, Colombia defeated Costa Rica 3-2 in the Round of 16 before falling to Mexico, 1-3, in the Quarterfinals.
- The USA and Colombia have never met at the FIFA U-20 World Cup. On the international stage, the two have met twice in other competitions: at the 1993 U-17 World Cup (a 1-2 U.S. loss), and at the 1994 FIFA World Cup (a 2-1 win), which featured current U-20 head coach Tab Ramos.
- The USA is 5-7-0 all-time against CONMEBOL teams at the U-20 World Cup.
- After losing its first six meetings against South American teams from 1981-1997, the USA has gone 5-1 against its southern continental neighbors, including wins in the final three meetings: defeating Argentina 1-0 in 2005 and with 2-1 victories over Brazil and Uruguay in 2007.
- Colombia is 3-2-0 all-time against CONCACAF teams. Its last two meetings were in 2013 when they defeated Costa Rica 3-2 in group play before losing to Mexico 1-3 in the Round of 16.