The U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team will continue its run at the 2015 Toulon Tournament with a match against the Netherlands on Friday, May 29 (11 a.m. ET, BeIN Sport).
The U-23’s are coming off of a 3-1 opening-game loss to host-France. The U.S. battled in the second half and Jordan Morris scored his third goal of 2015 with the U-23’s, but the team could not overcome the 3-0 first-half deficit.
Netherlands opened with a 3-2 win over Costa Rica behind a pair of goals from Rai Vloe and a score from Anwar El Ghazi. The Dutch and Costa Rica sides played in Stadeo Le Lagrange, just before the U.S. kicked off against France.
The USA has been drawn into Group A of the 2015 Toulon Tournament alongside host France, Netherlands, Costa Rica and Qatar. The U.S. is set to play Netherlands on Friday, followed by matches with Costa Rica (May 31, 11 a.m. ET), and Qatar (June 2, 12 p.m. ET). The top team from the group will advance to the final, while the second-place finisher will move on to play for third. The advancing pair from Group A will match up with the top two finishers from Group B, which includes China PR, England, Ivory Coast, Mexico and Morocco. The placement matches will be played on June 7.
The game against the Netherlands, and all of the following U.S. group-stage tournament games will be broadcast on BeIN SPORTS. Fans can also follow the U.S. games on Twitter @ussoccer.
- Post-game Quote Sheet: USA vs. France
- Q&A: U-23 MNT Head Coach Andi Herzog Talks Toulon
- U-23 MNT 2015 Toulon Tournament Roster
U.S. Tournament Notes:
- With his goal against France, Jordan Morris has now scored in back-to-back games with the U-23s and three straight for the U.S. overall counting his goal with the senior team in its 2-0 win against Mexico on April 15.
- Morris is the U-23’s leading scorer, having tallied three goals in 2015. In five career games with the U-23’s, Morris has scored four goals.
- Getting the start in the match against France, Marc Pelosi made his first appearance in a U.S. uniform in more than two years, having recovered from a series of injuries. He earned his first cap with the U-23 MNT and tallied an assist.
- Coming on as second-half subs against France, Alfred Koroma Shams (62nd minute) and Sam Strong (73rd minute) earned their first caps with the U-23 MNT.
- The Match between France and the USA was the first at the U-23 age level.
- Benji Joya, who scored the lone goal for the U.S. in the match against France in the 2013 Toulon Tournament (when the teams met as U-20 opponents), captained the team in this year’s game against France. Joya and Shane O’Neill started in the match with France and are the only players on the roster to have started all four games in 2015.
- Julian Green earned his first cap with the U-23 MNT.
USA vs. Netherlands Notes
- The USA has faced Netherlands one time in Olympic history, when the pair faced off in Tianjin, China as a part of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The teams drew 2-2 in the second group game, with goals from Sacha Kljestan and Jozy Altidore.
- Netherlands midfielder Thom Haye plays for Dutch Eredivisie club AZ Alkmaar, where he is teammates with U.S. MNT forward Aron Johannsson.
- 20-year-old Anwar El Ghazi scored nine goals for Dutch Eridivisie club Ajax, and earned honors as the AFC Ajax Talent of the Year for 2015.