The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team is in the driver’s seat in Group A of the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship. With two group matches remaining, the USA can clinch first place in the group and earn a 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup berth with a victory against Honduras.
The USA and Honduras square off at 10 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 8, at Estadio Francisco Morazán in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. The game will be live on FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Sports GO and Univision Deportes.
The U.S. is 3-0-0 (9 points) in the group, followed by Honduras (2-0-1, 7 points). The tournament’s Group A and B winners will advance to the March 15 final and receive automatic qualification to the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile from Oct. 17-Nov. 8.
The U-17 MNT is coming off a 4-1 victory against Guatemala on Thursday, highlighted by a first-half hat trick from Josh Perez. Honduras most recently earned a 2-0 win against Trinidad & Tobago with second-half goals from Dylan Andrade and Wisdom Quaye.
Here is a look at the USA’s history against Honduras in this tournament:
- The USA has faced Honduras eight previous times in this tournament, which – heading into qualifying – ties for the most games (along with Trinidad & Tobago) against a Group A opponent. The U.S. is 7-1-0 all-time.
- The U.S. opened the series with seven consecutive victories against Honduras, starting with a 2-0 win on Sept. 1, 1983, in the semifinals stage of the CONCACAF U-16 Championship.
- At the 1987 CONCACAF U-16 Championship, the USA faced Honduras twice, first posting a 2-1 win on Feb. 19 in the preliminary stage and then a 4-3 win in the final round of the tournament on Feb. 24.
- The USA’s most decisive victory against Honduras was at the 1988 CONCACAF U-16 Championship, a 7-0 win on Nov. 14 in Group A play.
- The U.S. also posted group wins at the 1992 CONCACAF U-16 Championship (2-1 on Aug. 12), the 1999 CONCACAF U-17 Tournament (3-0 on Feb. 26) and the 2009 CONCACAF U-17 Championship (3-0 on April 25). The 2009 victory, which featured a Nicholas Palodichuk brace, a goal and assist by Jack McInerney, and two assists from Joe Gyau, clinched the top spot in Group A.
- The USA most recently faced Honduras at the 2013 CONCACAF U-17 Championship. After posting back-to-back victories to win its group, the USA was eliminated from the tournament with a 3-1 loss on April 14 at Estadio Rommel Fernandez in Panama. Joel Soñora scored the USA’s lone goal to tie the score at 1-1, but Honduras responded with two goals as the U.S. was unable to advance to the FIFA U-17 World Cup for the first time in the program’s history.