Academy Coaching Spotlight: Molding the Elite Player: LA Galaxy U-15/16 head coach Mike Munoz spoke with ussoccer.com about how U.S. Soccer and the LA Galaxy are working together to provide an effective development model for players from the youth level all the way up to the first team. “The Galaxy is a first-class organization, all the way from the top down,” Munoz said. “Everybody has bought into what we’re doing. The youth development piece is a huge component in terms of our success going forward as a club. … There’s now a clear pathway starting from 10 years old all the way up to the first team, at every step, at every level. U.S. Soccer has really evolved in terms of their methodology, style of play and what they look for in a player. It’s a very professional approach.”
U-17 MNT Leads Group A Through Two Games at CONCACAF U-17 Championship: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team is atop Group A with a 2-0-0 record and plus-7 goal differential after a 2-0 victory over Trinidad & Tobago on Monday. Nomads SC alum Joe Gallardo netted his fourth goal of the tournament in the first half against Trinidad and former LA Galaxy Academy forward Haji Wright tallied in the second half. Gallardo scored three goals in the USA’s 5-0 victory against Cuba on Friday.
- U-17 MNT vs. Trinidad and Tobago – March 2, 2015:
- U-17 MNT vs. Cuba – Feb. 27, 2015:
For the latest Development Academy results, information and more, visit academy.demosphere.com and ussoccer.com’s Academy section. Follow the Academy on Twitter @ussoccer_acad, Instagram and Facebook.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Feb. 28-March 1):
- West Conference: The Pateadores U-17/18s tied a season high with five goals, including a brace from Luis Leon, en route to a 5-3 victory against Arsenal FC. Noah Leong, Cesar Murillo and Eder Oliva also added a goal apiece to move to 14-4-7 (1.96 points per game) in second place in the Southwest Division behind Real Salt Lake AZ. Pateadores is in the midst of a six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1).
- Central Conference: Sporting Kansas City’s U-17/18 team looked like it was on the verge of a draw against Lonestar SC Academy on Saturday. That notion was put to bed as Daniel Salloi and Fernando Borges scored back-to-back goals in the closing minutes for a 4-2 victory. Sporting Kansas City moved to 7-7-2 on the season (1.44 points per game) in the Frontier Division.
- East Conference: Only three players accounted for a combined seven goals between the South Carolina United Battery Academy and North Carolina Fusion in their thrilling U-15/16 clash. Charles Grondines’ lone tally in the 72nd minute proved to be the winner as South Carolina United Battery earned the 4-3 victory. His teammate Robert Robinson scored three first-half goals. On the flip side, North Carolina Fusion’s Omar Rivera recorded a hat trick. South Carolina United Battery sits in fourth place in the Southeast Division at 11-6-8 (1.64 points per game).
- Academy Player of the Week: U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team and LA Galaxy U-17/18 defender Malcolm Jones earned Academy Player of the Week accolades for his performance during the Galaxy’s 3-0 victory against De Anza Force this past weekend. Jones scored his third goal of the season and anchored a defensive line that has now posted 11 shutouts in 24 games while allowing only 22 goals all season – the fewest in the Southwest Division.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Michael Shepherd, a 29-year-old Grade 7 referee from southern California, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his performance during three matches over this past weekend between Pateadores and Arsenal FC. This is Shepherd’s first season working in the Development Academy.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-16 BNT Headed to Netherlands International Tournament: The U.S. Under-16 Boys’ National Team is bound for Rotterdam, Netherlands, for a March 7-16 trip to take part in the Netherlands International Tournament. A 21-player roster will represent the USA in the four-team tournament. Eighteen of the 21 players currently play in the Development Academy. The camp will be highlighted by matches against the Republic of Ireland on March 11, the Czech Republic on March 13 and the Netherlands on March 15.
Hackworth Names 36-Player Roster for U-15 BNT Camp in Florida: U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team head coach John Hackworth has selected a 36-player group to compete at a domestic camp from March 7-15 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This is the U-15 BNT’s first camp of the year. The camp features 32 players currently registered with Development Academy clubs.
DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY TRYOUT REGULATIONS - REMINDER:
Registered full-time or developmental Academy players are not eligible to tryout with a different Academy club until after the conclusion of the Academy Playoffs/Showcase on June 26. If a team qualifies for the Finals, those players will not be eligible to attend tryouts for another Academy club until after the conclusion of the Finals on July 18.
- Open tryouts during the Academy season are not recommended
- Development Academy Clubs should move away from an open tryout format as a valuable way to identify and select players, especially during their current season.
- Clubs should use a scouting system to identify players with specific skills and qualities and/or a trial format to further evaluate and compare any elite prospects among an existing core group of returning players.
- Please contact your Technical Advisor with any questions.
- LA Galaxy: Jose Villarreal Looking to Play Major Role in 2015
- New England Revolution: Tyler Rudy and London Woodberry Sign with Revs (Video)
- New England Revolution: Four Academy Players Set to Join U.S. Youth National Teams
- Philadelphia Union: Union Signs Forward Dzenan Catic
- San Jose Earthquakes: J.J. Koval Scores in 3-2 Preseason Victory against Galaxy
- Seattle Sounders FC: Former Academy Midfielder Duncan McCormick Signs
- Sporting Kansas City: Two Sporting Academy Players Join U.S. U-15 National Team
- American Soccer Now: Joe Gallardo Says U.S. U-17 MNT is Talented, Confident
- Gateshead FC: Lynden Gooch Talks About His Loan Debut (Video)
- Sunderland: Lynden Gooch Scores for Gateshead FC