The U.S. Men's National Team faces 14th-ranked Chile on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at Estadio El Teniente in Rancagua (6 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1, UniMas, Univision Deportes Network).
IN FOCUS: CHILE
Football Federation of Chile (Federación de Fútbol de Chile)
FIFA affiliation: 1913
Head Coach: Jorge Sampaoli
FIFA World Ranking: 14
Best World Cup Finish: 1962 (third place)
CHILE ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (2): Paulo Garcés (Colo-Colo), Johnny Herrera (Universidad de Chile)
DEFENDERS (7): Juan Cornejo (Audax Italiano), Paulo Díaz (Palestino), Gonzalo Fierro (Colo-Colo), Osvaldo González (Universidad de Chile), Erick Pulgar (Universidad Católica), José Rojas (Universidad de Chile), Cristián Suárez (Universidad de Chile)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Bryan Carrasco (Audax Italiano), Gonzalo Espinoza (Universidad de Chile), Marco Medel (Santiago Wanderers), Diego Valdés (Audax Italiano), Jaime Valdés (Colo-Colo), César Valenzuela (Palestino)
FORWARDS (5): Juan Delgado (Colo-Colo), Mark González (Universidad Católica), Roberto Gutiérrez (Universidad Católica), Ángelo Sagal (Huachipato), Andrés Vilches (Huachipato)
CHILE ROSTER NOTES:
- Chile’s roster features two members of the 2014 FIFA World Cup squad: defender José Rojas and goalkeeper Johnny Herrera.
- Rojas played in seven World Cup qualifying matches and also featured once in the FIFA World Cup, coming off the bench during Chile’s shootout loss in the Round of 16 against Brazil on June 28.
- Herrera served as a backup goalkeeper during the FIFA World Cup. He featured in two matches at the 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship, including a 4-1 loss in Group C play against the U.S. U-20 MNT on June 20.
- Chile advanced out of a difficult Group B at the 2014 FIFA World Cup that featured group winner and eventual third-place tournament finisher the Netherlands, defending champion Spain (won the 2010 FIFA World Cup) and Australia. Chile earned a 3-1 win against Australia and a 2-0 victory against Spain and fell to the Netherlands 2-0.
- Playing in just his second game and first start with Chile’s senior team, 21-year-old forward Juan Delgado scored a goal to lead his side to a 1-0 victory against Haiti on Sept. 9, 2014, at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Defender Cristián Suárez was a member of Chile’s U-20 squad at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, starting on the back line during the team’s 1-0 victory in the third-place match against Austria on July 22 at National Soccer Stadium in Toronto.
- Defender Paulo Díaz is the son of former Chile center back Ítalo Díaz, who featured twice for the national team in 2001.