The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team prepares for its fourth Group A match at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship when it faces host side Jamaica on Sunday, Jan. 18, at the Montego Bay Sports Complex. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. ET and will be live on FOX Sports 2 and Univision Deportes Network. Fans can also follow on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt and @ussoccer_esp.
The USA is coming off a dominant 8-0 victory against Aruba on Jan. 14 to move to 1-1-1 in the group stage, in third place behind Panama (3-0-0) and Guatemala (2-0-1). The USA is ahead of Trinidad & Tobago (1-1-1) based on goal differential, while Jamaica is fifth at 0-1-2 and Aruba is last at 0-0-3.
Romain Gall is the USA’s leading goal scorer in the tournament following his hat trick effort against Aruba. Gall is tied with three other players with three goals in the tournament, while Mexico’s Hirving Lozano leads with four goals.
This is the USA’s first match in Montego Bay after three games at Independence Park in Kingston. There, the USA opened the tournament with a 1-1 draw against Guatemala on Jan. 9, fell 1-0 to Panama on Jan. 11 and then routed Aruba three days later.
Jamaica started the event with a 2-2 draw against Trinidad & Tobago on Jan. 9, lost to Guatemala 1-0 on Jan. 11 and most recently fell 2-0 to group leader Panama. Donja Smith and Junior Flemmings scored Jamaica’s two second-half goals to rally from a two-goal deficit against against Trinidad & Tobago.
U.S. U-20 MNT vs. Jamaica Notes:
- The U.S. U-20 MNT is unbeaten against Jamaica in qualifying with a 4-0-2 all-time record.
- The USA’s first qualifying match was against Jamaica on April 2, 1964, at the second CONCACAF Youth Tournament in Guatemala. The USA and Jamaica drew 1-1.
- The U.S. earned a 2-1 victory against Jamaica to wrap up the group stage of the fifth CONCACAF Youth Tournament on Aug. 24, 1974, in Canada.
- The two sides met three times in qualifying during the 1980s. Following a scoreless draw on Aug. 19, 1982, in Guatemala City, the USA earned its most lopsided win against Jamaica, a 5-0 decision on Aug. 21, 1986. The U.S. then posted a 2-1 win on April 15, 1988, that featured a brace from Steve Snow.
- The USA’s most recent qualifying game against Jamaica was a 3-0 victory on March 6, 2009, in Bacolet, Tobago. Peri Marosevic, Dilly Duka and Billy Schuler each scored a goal, with Danny Cruz assisting the Marosevic and Duka tallies.