U-20 MNT in Search of Win, Faces Aruba Today in World Cup Qualifying: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team continues Group A play at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship when it faces Aruba for the first time on Wednesday at Independence Park in Kingston, Jamaica. The USA is 0-1-1 to open the tournament. This marks the U-20 MNT’s final game in Kingston before shifting to Montego Bay for the remaining two Group A games. Four teams from the CONCACAF U-20 Championship will directly qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.
Inspired by World Cup Success: Academy alumni Emerson Hyndman and Paul Arriola, representing the USA at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, caught up with ussoccer.com to discuss the rich history of the U-20 program and how they have been inspired by the previous world-class players who have stepped on the field at this stage of their careers.
U-14 Futsal Regionals Return in January and February: As part of the Development Academy’s mandatory futsal period from December through February, the Academy U-14 age group will look forward to a series of regional showcases from Jan. 24-Feb. 8, 2015. Eight regional showcases will include a minimum of four futsal matches over a two-day stretch in eight regions: SoCal and Texas (Jan. 24-25); Florida, Mid-America and NorCal (Jan. 31-Feb. 1); and New England, North Carolina and Pennsylvania/New Jersey (Feb. 7-8).
For the latest Development Academy results, information and more, visit academy.demosphere.com and ussoccer.com’s Academy section. Follow the Academy on Twitter @ussoccer_acad, Instagram and Facebook.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Jan. 10-11):
- West Conference: Strikers FC’s Shinya Kadono scored two goals to lead his U-18 team to a 2-1 victory against the LA Galaxy on Saturday. His 74th-minute tally proved to be the winner as the Galaxy’s Elijah Martin kept his side in the match with a goal three minutes later. Strikers FC is fifth in the Southwest Division at 7-8-1 and the LA Galaxy is third at 8-4-3. The Galaxy U-16s earned a 3-2 win against Strikers as Sam Hefter recorded a brace to lead the way for the defending national champion (10-2-3, first place in the division). Elsewhere in the West Conference this past weekend, Pateadores swept its set against Real So Cal, with the U-18s earning a 3-2 victory and the U-16s posting a 2-1 win. Efren Verdugo scored both Pats goals at the younger age group, including a goal in the opening minute. Pateadores’ Blayne Martinez scored an 88th-minute game-winner for the U-18 team.
- Central Conference: The Central opens its 2015 slate this upcoming Jan. 17-18 weekend.
- East Conference: The East returns to action during the Jan. 24-25 weekend.
Academy Referee of the Week: Samantha Moos, a 27-year-old Grade 5 referee from northern California, was named Academy Referee of the Week for her work during the U-18 match between the San Juan Soccer Club and San Diego Surf on Saturday. Moos has been working Academy matches since 2008 and has also worked the likes of MLS Reserve games, NWSL, W-League, PDL, NPSL and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Twelve Academy Alumni Called in for MNT January Camp: U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann called in 28 players for the MNT’s first training camp of 2015. Among this group, 12 players have ties to the Development Academy. The Jan. 12-Feb. 8 camp includes stays in California and Santiago, Chile, as the USA prepares for its first international friendly of the year against Chile on Jan. 28 at Estadio El Teniente in Rancagua.
U-16 BNT Bound for Aegean Cup: An 18-player roster will represent the U.S. Under-16 Boys’ National Team at the 2015 Aegean Cup International Youth Tournament from Jan. 19-24. There are 14 current Academy players and 17 overall who have had ties to the Academy on this roster. Luchi Gonzalez, the head coach of the FC Dallas U-16s and Shaun Tsakiris, De Anza Force’s U-14 and U-16 head coach, are overseeing the squad. The U.S. U-16 BNT opens group play against Romania on Monday, Jan. 19.
- Soccer America: Q&A, Part 1, with Tony Lepore: Academy Progressing, Staying Ambitious
- mlssoccer.com: 2015 MLS SuperDraft Takes Place Jan. 15 in Philadelphia
- mlssoccer.com: Klinsmann Confident U-20 MNT to Overcome Slow Start at CONCACAF U-20 Championship
- mlssoccer.com: Zardes Calls First MNT Camp ‘Dream Come True’
- mlssoccer.com: Trapp Hopes First MNT Call-Up Helps Continue Growth as Leader
- Colorado Rapids: O’Neill and Serna Called into MNT’s First Training Camp of 2015
- Colorado Rapids: Hairston and Powers Recall MLS SuperDraft Experience
- Columbus Crew SC: Homegrown Player Trapp Earns MNT Call-Up
- Tottenham: Yedlin Makes Spurs Debut During U-21 Team’s Win against West Ham