The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team opens the 2014 Nike International Friendlies against England’s U-17s on Friday, Nov. 28, at Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. ET and will be live on ussoccer.com. That match is preceded by a 3 p.m. game featuring Australia and Brazil.
All six games at the Nike Friendlies will be live on ussoccer.com, with the USA game serving as the night cap on all three days. The U.S. U-17 MNT faces Australia on Sunday, Nov. 30, and Brazil on Tuesday, Dec. 2. Fans can also follow all matches live on Twitter @ussoccer_ynt.
The tournament takes place at the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch and runs in conjunction with the 2014 Development Academy Winter Showcase, which starts Saturday, Nov. 29, with the U-18 age group.
This marks the USA’s last major tournament of the year as the focus will then turn toward preparation for the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship from Feb. 27-March 14 in Honduras.
U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team vs. England U-17
2014 Nike International Friendlies
Premier Sports Campus; Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Nov. 28, 2014
U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team By Position:
The USA roster will be announced shortly.
USA ROSTER NOTES:
- The USA is the defending champion of this event, earning last year’s crown with a 4-1 victory against Brazil in the finale on Dec. 13, 2013.
- The U-17 MNT is coming off a three-game tournament in Chile from Nov. 18-22, with draws against host Chile and Qatar and a heartbreaking 4-3 loss to Brazil after rallying from a two-goal deficit.
- U-17 head coach Richie Williams’ side has enjoyed a successful 2014. The team has compiled a 15-6-3 international record and a 16-6-7 mark overall. Haji Wright is the USA’s leading goal scorer with 18 tallies in 19 international matches. Midfielder Christian Pulisic has 14 goals and seven assists in 18 matches. Forward Pierre Da Silva is the leading assists man with eight through 848 minutes of play and 15 appearances.
USA VS. ENGLAND:
- The U.S. U-17 MNT and England last met at the 2013 Nike International Friendlies, with the USA earning a commanding 5-1 victory on Dec. 11, 2013.
- Joe Gallardo led the way with a hat trick and Haji Wright tallied twice for the USA. Marcus Edwards had England’s lone goal.
- U-17 MNT’s Wright, Pulisic Among Nominees for Young Male Athlete of the Year
- Christian Pulisic, U-17 MNT Riding Yearlong Wave of Success (video)
IN FOCUS: ENGLAND
The Football Association
FIFA affiliation: 1905
Head Coach: John Peacock
Best U-17 World Cup Finish:
ENGLAND U-17 ROSTER BY POSITION:
GOALKEEPERS (2): 1-Paul Woolston (Newcastle), 13-Alfie Whiteman (Tottenham Hotspur)
DEFENDERS (8): 2-James Yates (Everton), 3-Adetayo Edun (Fulham), 5-Reece Oxford (West Ham), 6-Cameron Humphreys-Grant (Manchester City), 12-Kyron Stabana (Derby County), 14-Trent Arnold (Liverpool), 15-Danny Collinge (VFB Stuttgart), 16-Easah Suliman (Aston Villa)
MIDFIELDERS (7): 4-Tom Davies (Everton), 7-Nathan Holland (Everton), 8-Adam Phillips (Liverpool), 9-Lukas Nmecha (Manchester City), 10-Marcus Edwards (Tottenham), 18-William Patching (Manchester City), 20-Daniel Wright (Sunderland)
FORWARDS (3): 11-Layton N’dukwu (Leicester City), 17-Ike Ugbo (Chelsea), 19-Jahmal Hector-Ingram (West Ham)
ENGLAND U-17 ROSTER NOTES:
- The England roster features nine players who were part of the squad at the 2013 Nike International Friendlies: goalkeeper Alfie Whiteman, defenders Trent Arnold, Danny Collinge, Cameron Humphreys-Grant and Reece Oxford, midfielders Marcus Edwards, William Patching and Adam Phillips and forward Layton N’dukwu.
- Phillips wore the captain’s armband and Edwards scored a goal during England’s 5-1 loss to the USA at last year’s tournament match.
- In other matches at last year’s tournament, England defeated Portugal 4-3 on Dec. 13, and dropped a 2-1 decision against Brazil on Dec. 9 despite scoring the game’s opening goal in the 18th minute.
- England won the 2014 UEFA European U-17 Championship in Malta, marking England’s second UEFA U-17 crown. In the final, England defeated the Netherlands 4-1 in penalties on May 21. The two teams were even 1-1 through regulation. Head coach John Peacock’s roster did not include players from the group taking part in the 2014 Nike International Friendlies.
- Ten players on England’s 2014 Nike Friendlies roster took part in the Montaigu Tournament in France with England’s U-16s. England took third place.
- The 2015 UEFA European U-17 Championship from May 6-22 will serve as England’s qualifying tournament for the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup.