Academy U-14 East Regional Features Balanced Competitive Field: The Development Academy’s second regional event for the U-14 age group wrapped up this past weekend at BB&T Soccer Park in Advance, North Carolina. ussoccer.com caught up with a pair of Academy midfielders, BW Gottschee’s Matteo Ritaccio and Met Oval’s Veljko Petkovic, to speak about the regional and their recent U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team camp. Weston FC head coach Marcelo Neveleff also discussed his club’s experience this past summer in the prestigious Manchester United Cup. The Academy U-14 West Regional, the third regional event this year, runs from Nov. 15-16 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California.
- Academy Coaching Spotlight: Growth Through Experience
- Academy U-14 East Regional Highlights
- Academy U-14 East Regional Yields Competitive Matches Across the Board
Also on ussoccer.com:
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Highlights
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Photo Gallery
- Academy U-14 Central Regional Recap
John Hackworth Named U.S. U-15 BNT Head Coach: U.S. Soccer appointed John Hackworth as head coach of the U.S. Under-15 Boys’ National Team. In his full-time role, Hackworth will guide the even birth-year players as they enter the Youth National Team program. “I think it’s a position that will truly advance our player development in this country,” Hackworth said. “The U-15 coach’s job is to prepare a large pool of players early in the developmental cycle of the Youth National Teams, and expanding our focus in this area is significant.” (Q&A: U.S. U-15 BNT Head Coach John Hackworth)
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 8-9):
- West Conference: In a crossover match, the Southwest Division’s Pateadores U-18 team defeated the Northwest Division’s San Jose Earthquakes 4-3 on Sunday. Pateadores overcame a two-goal deficit to hand the Quakes their first loss of the season. Blayne Martinez, Cesar Murillo, Jack Kerins and David Fuerte each scored a goal for Pateadores (5-2-4). Amir Bashti scored two goals for San Jose (8-1-1).
- Central Conference: The Chicago Fire U-18s rallied from a two-goal deficit in the opening 10 minutes, scoring three unanswered and capped off by an Oscar Gonzalez tally in second-half stoppage time for a 3-2 victory against St. Louis Scott Gallagher Metro on Saturday. SLSG Metro got off to a strong star with Zach Parr and Brock Tober scoring in the fourth and ninth minutes, respectively. The Fire mounted a big comeback, with Ryan Sieralowski putting Chicago on the score sheet in the 31st minute and Cameron Lindley netting a 65th-minute equalizer. Gonzalez’s winner was his first goal of the season, and the Fire moved to 4-1-5 on the season.
- East Conference: Everton FC Westchester’s U-16s have won for the fourth time in five games, thanks to a Dantae Greer hat trick to lead his side to a 3-0 road victory against the Montreal Impact on Saturday. Greer’s tallies in the 10th, 27th and 53rd minutes now give him a team-leading nine on the season. Everton FC Westchester is fourth in the Northeast Division at 5-3-0.
Stat of the Week: With his hat trick, Everton FC Westchster’s Dantae Greer is now tied for first place in goals-per-game with the New York Red Bulls’ Brian Saramago at the U-16 age group. Both players have scored nine goals in eight games (1.13 average).
- Academy Player of the Week: Seattle Sounders FC U-18 midfielder Victor Mansaray was named Academy Player of the Week for his performance over the Nov. 8-9 weekend. Mansaray, who recently signed a homegrown contract with the Sounders, played a key role in two Academy road victories over that stretch against Santa Cruz Breakers Academy and De Anza Force. He had the game-winning goal in a 2-1 win against Santa Cruz and now has five goals on the season.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Christian Centeno, a Grade 7 referee from eastern New York, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-16 match between BW Gottschee and Oakwood Soccer Club. Centeno started working Development Academy matches during the 2013-14 season and has also worked in the NPSL and PDL.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-20 MNT Roster Named for Trip to Spain: U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team head coach Tab Ramos named a 20-player roster for three matches at the U-21 International National Teams Football Tournament in Marbella, Spain. The roster features 18 players who have previous ties to the Development Academy. The U.S. opened with a thrilling 4-3 victory against Russia’s U-21s on Wednesday, highlighted by Romain Gall’s brace and stoppage-time, game-winning penalty kick. The USA next faces the Republic of Ireland’s U-20s on Saturday, Nov. 15, and Canada’s U-20s on Nov. 18. The U.S. U-20 MNT is in preparation for the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, which runs Jan. 9-24 in Kingston and Montego Bay, Jamaica.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Nov. 15-16 Academy weekend, the 11th of the 2014-15 season, features 149 games – 71 at the U-14 age group (42 at the West regional) and a combined 78 games at the U-16 and U-18 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- Sacramento Bee: Teen Soccer Players Find Success on Academy Field
- New York Red Bulls: Academy Teams Remain Unbeaten in All Age Groups
- San Jose Earthquakes: Quakes Academy Alumni Shining at Collegiate Ranks
- Seattle Sounders FC: Victor Mansaray Signs Homegrown Contract
- Soccer America: Protégé Victor Mansaray Moves Up
- mlssoccer.com: Lynden Gooch Signs New Three-Year Deal with Sunderland
- HITC Sport: Lynden Gooch: Why Sunderland Could Have USA’s Future No. 10 on their Hands
- University of Maryland’s The Diamondback: Zack Steffen