Academy U-14 Regionals Resume in North Carolina: The Development Academy’s second of three U-14 regional events is set for the Nov. 8-9 weekend at BB&T Soccer Park in Advance, North Carolina, near Winston-Salem. The regional features 68 games over two days, giving the players and clubs a strong set of competitive matches while also having the invaluable opportunity to showcase their skills in front of U.S. Soccer technical advisors and the Scouting Network. The Academy U-14 West regional will then follow Nov. 15-16 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California.
- U-14 Academy Central Regional Highlights
- U-14 Academy Central Regional Photo Gallery
- U-14 Academy Central Regional Recap
U-14 BNT Head Coach Brian Johnson Interview: U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team head coach Brian Johnson took some time at the U-14 Central Regional to discuss the advantages of being able to scout and develop players in the Academy’s U-14 division. The U-14 age group is in the midst of its second season.
PDA’s Murphy Gains Experience with U.S. Futsal, U-18 MNT: Players Development Academy midfielder James Murphy recently earned his first call-up to the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team. He spoke with ussoccer.com about his jam-packed 2014 campaign that has included an Academy national title with PDA’s U-18s and his first competition with the U.S. Futsal National Team in Argentina.
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Nov. 1-2):
- West Conference: Arsenal FC’s Alejandro Lara lifted the U-16s to a 1-0 victory against Real Salt Lake AZ on Saturday. Lara’s 68th-minute tally was his first of the season. Defensively, Arsenal earned its eighth shutout. Arsenal leads the Southwest Division at 7-2-2 and 2.09 points per game. Real Salt Lake AZ is fourth at 4-3-3 and 1.50 points per game.
- Central Conference: St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri’s Kyle Barks and Taner Dogan each scored second-half goals during a 2-0 victory against Mid-America Division frontrunner Crew Soccer Academy Wolves on Saturday. The next day, CSA Wolves played to a 1-1 draw against SLSG Metro and SLSG Missouri fell 1-0 to Vardar. CSA Wolves is still clinging to the division lead with a 7-1-2 record and 2.30 points per game. SLSG Missouri is second at 7-2-1 with 2.20 points per game.
- East Conference: PA Classics’ U-18 team rallied from a four-goal deficit to earn a 5-5 road draw against the New York Red Bulls, who had entered the game with a 6-0-0 record this season. New York built a 5-1 lead through the first 50 minutes, with Cameron Harr scoring two goals. However, PA Classics stormed back. Robert Pozesky scored twice, Nicholas Sarver had a goal and PA Classics also benefited from an own goal. PA Classics is now 3-2-2 and the Red Bulls are 6-0-1 atop the Atlantic Division.
Stat of the Week: The 5-5 draw between PA Classics and the New York Red Bulls U-18s is the highest-scoring tie among the two older Academy age groups. The U-14s have had two 5-5 draws this season, including this past Saturday’s 5-5 stalemate between Ballistic United Soccer Club and Diablo Futbol Club. The other U-14 draw that featured 10 goals was between the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA on Oct. 5.
- Academy Player of the Week: Chris Durkin of Richmond United’s U-16 team earned Academy Player of the Week for his performance last Saturday in a 3-0 victory against Continental FC DELCO. Durkin, who regularly plays up with the U-16s and has been a member of the U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team, scored two goals and received high scouting ratings.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Korey Carter, a Grade 6 referee from Maryland, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-18 match between Bethesda-Olney and Players Development Academy. He has worked Academy matches since 2011 and also has experience in the W-League, USL PRO, PDL and NPSL.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
22 Players to Represent U-16 BNT for Camp in France: A 22-player roster has been named to the U.S. Under-16 Boys’ National Team’s international camp from Nov. 13-21 in Clairefontaine, France, near Paris. The U-16 BNT roster of mostly 1999-born players (19 of the 22) has been formed to provide the younger age group of U-17s with an opportunity for additional international competition and training. The roster includes 18 current Academy players, with 21 of the 22 having been part of the Academy system.
Academy Alumni: Revs’ Caldwell, Row Play Role in Road Playoff Win: The New England Revolution had a stellar start to its MLS Playoffs, with multiple Academy alumni playing a big role. Former Crossfire Premier midfielder Kelyn Rowe and Revolution Academy alum Scott Caldwell each set up a Charlie Davies goal during New England’s 2-1 road victory against the Columbus Crew last Saturday in the first leg of the team’s Eastern Conference Semifinal series. The Revolution heads back home for the second leg this Sunday at Gillette Stadium. The game kicks off at 5 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Nov. 8-9 Academy weekend, the 10th of the 2014-15 season, features 155 games – 86 at the U-14 age group (68 at the East regional) and a combined 69 games at the U-16 and U-18 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- LA Galaxy: Academy Goalkeeper Eric Lopez Signs with LA Galaxy II
- LA Galaxy: Five Academy Players that Could Make Jump to LA Galaxy II in 2015
- Wilmington Hammerheads: Carson Porter Appointed as Head Coach and Technical Director
- Deseret News: Midfielder Luis Gil Sharp in Real Salt Lake Playoff Opener
- The Gazette (Maryland): Players Benefiting from Development Academy Training and Exposure
- mlssoccer.com: Shipp, Birnbaum in Rookie of the Year Battle
- uefa.com: D.C. United Product Najar Assists Anderlecht Equalizer in UEFA Champions League
- Top Drawer Soccer: Red Bulls Academy Alum Najem: Life in Fourth Division Germany
- Top Drawer Soccer: Academy Alumni Roundup