Academy Coaches Soak in U-17 MNT Methodology: The Southeast region of the Development Academy had the invaluable opportunity to spend a full day with the U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team and head coach Richie Williams. The connection from the Academy to the Youth National Team system and senior National Team is a continual point of emphasis, and the response for this opportunity was strong. There were 42 coaches and scouts on hand, representing nearly every Academy club in that region.
U-14 Academy Regionals: Central Players Get Taste of Elite Environment: The Development Academy’s U-14 Central Regional event wrapped up Oct. 26 at Grand Sports Park in Westfield, Indiana, providing a highly competitive environment for the players and teams on hand. ussoccer.com had the opportunity to speak with Sockers FC’s Tim Bielic and the Chicago Fire’s Nick Fernandez on the event, as well as their experience at the preceding U.S. U-14 Boys’ National Team camp. Two more regional showcases are on the horizon, with the East Regional from Nov. 8-9 in Advance, North Carolina, and the West Regional from Nov. 15-16 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California.
Window Closing for Full-Time Player Adds: A reminder to all Academy clubs: This Friday, Oct. 31, is the last day to add any full-time players before this first window ends. Please send all requests to Nery Amaya at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 25-26):
- West Conference: The San Jose Earthquakes swept its set against Northwest Division rival Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday. San Jose’s Theo Huxham scored two goals – one in each half – to lead the U-16 team to a 2-0 victory to help the team improve to 5-1-1 on the season. The Earthquakes U-18s moved to 6-0-1 with a 2-1 win against Seattle. Yousef Diyab scored two goals in the opening 20 minutes and held on for the win despite a 90th-minute Sounders goal from Sean Bowman.
- Central Conference: In the Frontier Division, the Dallas Texans U-16 team moved into second place with a 1-0 victory against the third-place Colorado Rush on Sunday. Malik Key scored the game’s only goal in the fifth minute. He now has four goals this season, tying for the team lead with Jesus Varela. Both plays scored a goal during Saturday’s 3-2 win against Real Colorado. The Texans have now won three straight to move to 6-1-0 (2.57 points per game).
- East Conference: In a crossover matchup, the Northeast Division’s Oakwood Soccer Club had a standout performance at both the U-16 and U-18 age groups, earning identical 3-1 victories against Atlantic Division side D.C. United on Sunday. Brandon Garland recorded a brace and Simon Becher added a goal to lead the U-16s, who have now won back-to-back games after recording one win in its first seven matches. DeAndre Brown’s two second-half goals led Oakwood’s U-18s past D.C. United. Danny Griffin contributed a first-half tally for the U-18 team (5-2-2, 1.89 points per game).
Stat of the Week: The Academy U-14 Central Regional event included 39 games and featured 97 goals and 10 draws.
- Academy Player of the Week: Oakwood’s Brandon Garland earned Academy Player of the Week after posting two goals in each of his team’s victories against Richmond United and D.C. United over the Oct. 25-26 weekend. He now leads Oakwood’s U-16 squad with five goals this season.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Matt Printup, a Grade 7 referee from Minnesota, was named Referee of the Week for his work during the U-18 match between the Minnesota Thunder Academy and Crew Soccer Academy. Printup has been working Academy matches since 2012, and also has experience in the North American Soccer League and PDL.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Pfeffer Notches First MLS Goal: Philadelphia Union midfielder and FC DELCO alum Zach Pfeffer scored his first Major League Soccer goal during the Union’s finale on Sunday against the Columbus Crew. Pfeffer, the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team’s leading goal scorer in international competition, made five MLS appearances after spending 2013 on loan at Hoffenheim. Elsewhere, Internationals alum and Portland Timbers midfielder Darlington Nagbe scored his first goal of the 2014 season to lead Portland to a 2-0 win against FC Dallas.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Nov. 1-2 Academy weekend, the ninth of the 2014-15 season, features 123 games – 47 at the U-14 age group and a combined 76 games at the U-16 and U-18 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- The Guardian: DeAndre Yedlin: How to Make it in America
- Columbus Crew: Wil Trapp Aims to Bring Title to Columbus
- Houston Dynamo: Academy U-14’s Marcelo Palomino Chats About First National Team Camp
- LA Galaxy: Jaime Villarreal Names Galaxy Academy Player of the Year
- New England Revolution: Herivaux Named Revolution Academy Youth Player of the Year
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams go Unbeaten in Five Games
- New York Red Bulls: Academy U-14s Earn Win Against Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City: Lonestar Alum Harrison Heath Signs
- mlssoccer.com: Wil Trapp: Last-Gasp Win Shows Columbus Crew’s ‘Resilience’
- mlssoccer.com: Gyasi Zardes’ First Impression in MLS