Three U-13/14 Regional Showcases in Store for October and November: For the second straight season, the Development Academy’s U-13/14 teams will convene in a series of regional showcases, providing an invaluable competitive opportunity for the players, coaches, teams and scouts. The opening showcase for Central-based clubs runs Oct. 25-26 at Grand Sports Campus in Westfield, Indiana, north of Indianapolis. That will be followed by the East regional showcase from Nov. 8-9 at BB&T Soccer Park near Winston-Salem and Greensboro, North Carolina, and the West regional showcase from Nov. 15-16 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California.
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 18-19):
- West Conference: In a crossover match, the Southwest Division’s Real So Cal earned victories at the U-15/16s and U-17/18s against the Northwest Division’s Crossfire Premier. Jared Lopez broke a scoreless deadlock in the 74th minute to lead the U-15/16 team to a 1-0 win. At the U-17/18s, Sam Strong scored two goals and James Handal added a goal as Real So Cal hung on for a 3-2 victory. Crossfire’s Uriel Herrera tallied twice later in the half. Both Real So Cal teams are 6-2-1 this season.
- Central Conference: The Houston Dynamo U-17/18s moved into first place in the Frontier Division following a 4-2 victory against FC Dallas on Saturday at Houston Sports Park. After falling behind 1-0 through the first 45 minutes, the Dynamo scored all four goals in the second half, with Noe Ochoa, Juan Flores, Roberto Marquez and Christian Lucatero each contributing a tally. The Houston Dynamo improved to 3-0-1.
- East Conference: The Philadelphia Union swept its Atlantic Division set against Bethesda-Olney. The Union’s U-15/16s are now 7-0-0 after its 3-1 victory, with Alexander Soto shouldering the scoring with three goals over a six-minute stretch. The Philadelphia Union U-17/18 team posted a 2-0 win. Mohamed Conde and Zach Zandi scored in the 15th and 65th minutes, respectively, and the Union improved to 4-2-1 on the season.
Stat of the Week: Concorde Fire’s U-15/16 Michael Ille has scored more than 60 percent of his team’s goals this season. The U-15/16 goal scoring leader has 10 goals and Concorde Fire has scored 16 goals in nine matches as a team.
- Academy Player of the Week: FC Dallas U-15/16 midfielder Devin Vega was named Player of the Week after scoring two goals this past weekend against the Houston Dynamo. Vega is a former member of the U.S. U-17 Residency Program in Bradenton, Florida.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Robert Sarfaraz, a Grade 5 referee from California-South, was named Referee of the Week for his work during the U-15/16 match between Pateadores and Nomads on Saturday. Sarfaraz has regularly worked Development Academy matches since 2008, in addition to duties with Major League Soccer league and reserve games, Youth National Team level, PDL, USL PRO and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U.S. U-18 MNT Roster Named for October Camp: U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team head coach Javier Perez has brought in 36 players for a domestic camp from Oct. 23-31 at U.S. Soccer’s National Training Center in Carson, California. Among the roster, 35 of the 36 are currently registered with Academy clubs. Among this group are midfielder James Murphy, a member of Players Development Academy’s national champion U-17/18 team last season and the U.S. Futsal National Team, as well as trio of LA Galaxy Academy players who won the U-15/16 national title this past summer in Bennett Sneddon, Michael Lopez and Adrian Vera.
U-14 BNT Intrasquad Highlights: The U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team camp last week to kick off a new cycle, the group held multiple intrasquad games, including a doubleheader on Oct. 15. Multiple Academy players found the score sheet that day, including Met Oval’s Veljko Petkovic and D.C. United’s Kyle Davis.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Oct. 25-26 Academy weekend, the eighth of the 2014-15 season, features 166 games – 74 at the U-13/14 age group and a combined 92 games at the U-15/16 and U-17 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- mlssoccer.com: Wil Trapp Gets ‘Goosebumps’ When Hearing Praise from Thierry Henry
- mlssoccer.com: Homegrowns Benefit from USL PRO
- Soccer By Ives: Aron Johannsson Scores for Alkmaar Reserves in Return
- D.C. United: Steven Birnbaum’s Rookie Season
- New England Revolution: Academy Update
- San Jose Earthquakes: Academy Update