Donovan Influence on U.S. U-17 MNT: With Landon Donovan making his final appearance with the U.S. Men’s National Team on Friday against Ecuador, ussoccer.com sat down with several current U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team players who are on the same path that Donovan once was. Hugo Arellano and Haji Wright, who have ties to the LA Galaxy Academy, and PA Classics product Christian Pulisic spoke about Donovan’s impact, where they were when they saw Donovan’s infamous 2010 FIFA World Cup goal against Algeria and more.
U-17 MNT Wins Panama Tournament: The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team defeated host Panama 1-0 on Sunday to cap off a perfect three-game run to win the Panama U-17 International Tournament. Christian Pulisic scored the game’s lone goal off of a Haji Wright assist. Wright continued his offensive dominance this year, scoring a goal in the USA’s 2-0 win against Canada on Oct. 3 and three goals during the U-17 MNT’s 5-2 victory against Costa Rica on Oct. 1.
For the latest Development Academy news, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Oct. 4-5):
- West Conference: Seattle Sounders FC earned a sweep against Real Salt Lake AZ on Saturday in a crossover match between the Northwest and Southwest Division sides. The Sounders U-15/16s earned a 3-1 win with Alex Kirtsov, Johnny Reynolds and Habib Barry each scoring a second-half goal for the Sounders. Seattle’s U-17/18s won by the same 3-1 score line, with Sean Bowman recording a brace and Victor Mansaray adding a 73rd-minute goal.
- Central Conference: FC Dallas U-17/18 forward Coy Craft scored three goals to lead his side to a 5-1 win against the Texas Rush in a matchup of two teams that headed into the game with perfect records. Caleb Young also contributed two goals for FC Dallas (3-0-0), which leads the Frontier Division at both age groups. FC Dallas’ U-15/16s also posted a win against the Texas Rush.
- East Conference: D.C. United’s U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams each garnered a victory against Bethesda-Olney in Atlantic Division play. Donovan Pines’ 78th-minute goal led the U-15/16s to a 1-0 win on Sunday. At the older age group, D.C. United’s Daniel Reeves scored two goals, including what proved to be the winner in the 63rd minute, during the team’s 4-1 victory. Teammates Jorge Calix and Gerson Umana also added goals for D.C. United (5-1-0). Elsewhere in the East, the Philadelphia Union U-15/16 team became the first Academy squad this season to get to six victories with a 3-0 win against NJCSA. The Union leads the Atlantic Division with a 6-0-0 record and has outscored its opponents 19-1.
Stat of the Week: A whopping 47 games among the U-13/14 through U-17/18 Academy age groups resulted in a shutout victory (or loss) over the Oct. 4-5 weekend. That accounts for 38 percent of the scheduled matches last weekend (125 games total).
- Academy Player of the Week: FC Dallas forward Coy Craft came off the bench to score three goals during the FC Dallas U-17/18 team’s 5-1 win against the Texas Rush. Craft has featured for the U.S. Under-18 Men’s National Team this year, including the team’s championship run at the 21st International Tournament of Václav Ježek in August.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Daniel Watkins, a Grade 8 referee from Maryland, was named Referee of the Week for his work during Sunday’s U-13/14 match between Baltimore Bays Chelsea and Lehigh Valley United. The 15-year-old referee has worked several Academy matches this season, as well as the end of the 2013-14 season.
For all Development Academy results, standings and more, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Six Academy Alumni Join U.S. MNT for Ecuador Match: U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann named the USA roster for its international friendly against Ecuador on Friday, Oct. 10, at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Connecticut. The roster includes six players who have ties to the Development Academy: Joe Corona, Luis Gil, Joe Gyau, Bill Hamid, Bobby Wood and DeAndre Yedlin.
U.S. U-23 MNT Roster Named for Oct. 13 Game Against Brazil: A 21-player roster has been named for the U.S. Under-23 Men’s National Team’s October camp in Brasilia. Fifteen players have ties to the Development Academy, and four Academy alumni on this roster were also members of the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup squad: defenders Eric Miller and Oscar Sorto, midfielder Benji Joya and forward Mario Rodriguez. The U-23 MNT, in preparation toward qualification for the 2016 Summer Olympics, will face Brazil’s U-23s on Monday, Oct. 13, at Estadio Nacional in Brasilia.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Oct. 10-12 Academy weekend, the sixth of the 2014-15 season, features 88 games – 36 at the U-13/14 age group and a combined 52 games at the U-15/16 and U-17 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page