Academy Winter Showcase and Nike Friendlies Return to Florida: The 2014 Development Academy Winter Showcase dates are set as the event, in conjunction with the Nike International Friendlies, returns to the Premier Sports Campus in Lakewood Ranch, Florida. The Academy Showcase runs from Nov. 29-Dec. 3, and the Nike Friendlies, featuring the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team, are from Nov. 28-Dec. 2. Additionally, an Academy Select game showcasing 1997- and 1998-born players handpicked by U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors and Youth National Team staff will play on Dec. 1.
U.S. U-20 MNT Wraps Up Trip to Argentina: The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team capped off its 10-day trip to Buenos Aires with a 1-1 draw against Argentina’s U-20s on Tuesday. Philadelphia Union forward and FC DELCO alum Zach Pfeffer scored the game-tying goal as the USA went 2-0-1 during the trip. Earlier, LA Galaxy Academy product Bradford Jamieson IV recorded a brace en route to a 3-2 win against Defensa y Justicia Reserves on Saturday, Sept. 6, and Pfeffer had the game-winning tally during a 2-0 victory against Racing Club Reserves on Thursday, Sept. 4.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter@ussoccer_acad and Instagram, or like us on Facebook. Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of Sept. 6-7):
- West Conference: Nomads SC held off a late surge from FC Golden State to earn a 6-5 victory in the Southwest Division opener for both sides. The game also was FC Golden State’s first at the U-17/18 level. Brandon Monteon scored two goals for Nomads and Anthony Wright’s 75th-minute tally, which pushed the lead to 6-2, proved to be the winner. FC Golden State made things interesting after Wright’s score, with Eduardo Sanchez scoring in the 77th minute and Roberto Garcia-Vargas Jr. and Noah Walton tallying in the 89th and 90th minutes, respectively. FC Golden State’s Jacob Anderson had the game’s first two goals in the opening 10 minutes.
- Central Conference: The Internationals U-15/16 team scored two first-half goals and notched a 2-0 victory against Crew Soccer Academy in the season opener for both teams on Saturday. Defender AJ VanVoorhis got Internationals on the score sheet in the 24th minute and Ryan Jackson followed with a 37th-minute goal.
- East Conference: Concorde Fire’s Christian Duncan scored a game-winning goal three minutes into second-half stoppage time for a thrilling 4-3 victory against Orlando City’s U-17/18s in Southeast Division action on Sunday in Atlanta. Through 90 minutes, Concorde Fire was clinging to a 3-2 lead until Orlando City’s Gorka Aperribay scored the equalizer two minutes into stoppage time. Duncan responded just one minute later to help Concorde Fire cap off an unbeaten weekend. On Saturday, Concorde Fire edged South Carolina United Battery with a 2-1 victory as Jeffrey Frantz scored the game-winning goal in the 78th minute.
Academy Player of the Week: David Loera of Orlando City’s U-15/16s was named Academy Player of the Week for the weekend of Sept. 6-7. Loera scored three goals in a two-game stretch, opening the scoring during Orlando City’s 3-2 win against Georgia United and then a brace against the Concorde Fire for a 6-1 victory.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following link:
- 2014-15 Schedule: Combined U-13/14 through U-17/18
Academy Alumni: Zardes Sets Homegrown Goals Record in MLS: LA Galaxy Academy alum Gyasi Zardes scored his 13th and 14th goals in Major League Soccer play on Friday, Sept. 6, during the Galaxy’s 6-0 rout over the Colorado Rapids. That surpassed the previous homegrown record of goals scored in a season set by New England Revolution Academy product Diego Fagundez last season. Among other alumni notables, Bill Hamid tied a career high with his eighth shutout, while Fagundez and PA Classics alum Andrew Wenger tallied their fifth goals of the season.
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- The Sept. 13-14 Academy weekend, the second of the 2014-15 season, features 108 games – 41 at the U-13/14 age group and a combined 67 games at the U-15/16 and U-17 age groups.
- 2014-15 Academy Schedule page
- Chivas USA: U-13/14s Earns First Win of Season
- Seattle Sounders FC: Call-Up to U.S. MNT Just Beginning for Academy Grad Jordan Morris
- American Soccer Now: U.S. Call-Up has Jordan Morris Dreaming Big
- American Soccer Now: Joe Corona, U.S. MNT Midfield Mixes it up in Prague
- mlssoccer.com: Gyasi Zardes Breaks Diego Fagundez’s Homegrown Goal Scoring Record
- mlssoccer.com: Is Gyasi Zardes the Best American Striker in MLS? (video)
- mlssoccer.com: Position Change Credited for Andrew Wenger’s Revival with Union