14 Teams Join Playoff Field: During the May 17-18 weekend, 14 Development Academy teams qualified for the 2013-14 Playoffs. At the U-15/16 age group, the following nine clubs advanced to the Academy Playoffs: Chicago Magic PSG, Crew Soccer Academy Wolves, Match Fit Academy FC, Orlando City, PA Classics, Pateadores, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Vardar and Weston FC. Five U-17/18 teams also joined the Academy Playoff field: Colorado Rush, D.C. United, De Anza Force, Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy and Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
- FC Dallas U-17/18s, NYRB Teams Qualify for Playoffs
- Bethesda-Olney U-17/18s, FC Dallas U-15/16s Clinch
- Three Academy Teams Clinch First Playoff Spots for 2013-14 Season
- Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- 11 Teams Garner Academy Playoff Berths Over May 10-11 Weekend
Johannsson Tallies During U.S. MNT Victory: Former IMG Academy player Aron Johannsson netted his second international goal in the 81st minute of the USA’s 2-0 victory against Azerbaijan on Tuesday in the first of three Send-Off Series games leading up to the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Johannsson was left wide open at the edge of the six-yard box and headed home a corner kick by Brad Davis from the right corner to extend the U.S. lead to 2-0. (SEE GOAL) It was Johannsson’s first goal of 2014 for the U.S.
For the latest Development Academy news, visit the ussoccer.com Academy home page, follow us on Twitter @ussoccer_acad or like us on Facebook. With the 2013-14 Development Academy Playoffs on the horizon in June, make sure to use and follow the #AcademyPlayoffs hashtag.
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of May 24-26):
- West Conference: In a crossover match between the Southwest Division’s Pateadores and Northwest Division’s Seattle Sounders FC, the Pats U-15/16s prevailed with a 3-2 victory. Eder Oliva scored two goals, including the game-winner in the 80th minute. Teammate Ronaldo Escudero had a 12th-minute goal as Pateadores originally had a 2-0 lead at that stage, only to see Seattle rally with a goal in each half. Both teams are in third place in their respective divisions heading into their regular-season finales this weekend.
- Central Conference: Solar Chelsea SC swept its set against the Texas Rush in Frontier Division action on Saturday, posting one-goal victories at each age group. The Solar Chelsea U-15/16s earned a 3-2 win, with Alex Greene scoring the winner with 11 minutes remaining. At the u-17/18s, Caleb Smith scored an 80th-minute goal and Solar Chelsea pulled off a 1-0 win to improve to 14-7-4.
- East Conference: In a Memorial Day matchup in the Atlantic Division, first-place Bethesda-Olney’s U-17/18s defeated third-place D.C. United 2-0. Matthew Ledder and Sam Schmidt each scored first-half goals and Bethesda-Olney improved to an impressive 20-2-0 record in its first season in the Development Academy. Bethesda-Olney carries a nine-game winning streak heading into its final three regular-season matches.
- Academy Player of the Week: Reid Baez, a midfielder for the Portland Timbers U-15/16s, earned Academy Player of the Week honors for the weekend of May 17-18. Baez notably scored two goals during Portland’s 5-0 victory against Southwest Division champion Real Salt Lake AZ on May 18. He also tallied a goal during the Timbers’ 2-2 draw against Seattle Sounders FC on May 17.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Oscar Arias Ochoa, a 23-year-old Grade 5 referee from Colorado, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-17/18 match between Real Colorado and Lonestar SC on May 18. In 2013, Ochoa worked the Development Academy Playoffs and Showcase. Other duties have included the 2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and two years at the W-League and PDL.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
Academy Alumni: Powers, O’Neill Scores Lead Rapids to Win: Dillon Powers, a former U.S. Soccer Development Academy Player of the Year, scored twice to lead the Colorado Rapids to a 4-1 win against the Montreal Impact and was named mlssoccer.com’s Man of the Match. Shane O’Neill also scored for the Rapids for his first MLS goal. Elsewhere, New England Revolution Academy alum Diego Fagundez was named mlssoccer.com Man of the Match as he scored the game-winner in the Revolution’s 2-1 victory against D.C. United . It was his fourth goal of the season.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Video: Steffen Plays Significant Role in Current U-20 Cycle
- Feature: Shipp’s Technical Prowess Benefiting Chicago Fire
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Academy weekend features 128 games running from May 31-June 1. A combined 82 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 46 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Chivas USA: U-13s Clinch Second Title at Cerritos Memorial Challenge Cup
- Colorado Rapids: O’Neill, Hairston, Powers Combine to Give Rapids Much-Needed Momentum
- D.C. United: Development Academy Update
- New England Revolution: Diego Fagundez Returns for Another Boot Room Breakdown
- mlssoccer.com: Shane O’Neill Cashes in on Friendly Wager After First MLS Goal
- mlssoccer.com: Diego Fagundez Rediscovers Scoring Touch
- mlssoccer.com: 10 Academy Alumni on 2014 AT&T MLS All-Star Game Ballot
- Chargers SC and Tampa Bay Rowdies Announce Partnership
- Brotherly Game: Philadelphia Union Academy Still in Playoff Hunt
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap