Academy Alumni: Shipp Nets Hat Trick, MLS Honors: Chicago Fire rookie midfielder Harry Shipp, a former Academy player with the Fire and Chicago Magic PSG, tallied three goals and assisted the game-winning score during his Major League Soccer side’s 5-4 victory against the New York Red Bulls on Saturday. Shipp’s efforts earned him MLS Player of the Week accolades. Elsewhere, New England Revolution Academy product Diego Fagundez scored twice during the Revs’ 5-0 win against Seattle Sounders FC.
NYRB Teams, FC Dallas U-17/18s Book Playoff Spots: Over the May 3-4 weekend, both the New York Red Bulls U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams and the FC Dallas U-17/18s earned a spot to this year’s Development Academy Playoffs, which take place June 23-27 at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana. The New York Red Bulls U-17/18s won the national title last season.
Yedlin, Johannsson Named to 30-Player World Cup Preliminary Roster: U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann named the USA’s 30-player 2014 FIFA World Cup preliminary roster on Monday. Seattle Sounders FC Academy alum DeAndre Yedlin and former IMG Academy forward Aron Johannsson were selected for this preliminary roster. The U.S. MNT is in the midst of its training camp at Stanford University at Palo Alto, California. A date has yet to be set when Klinsmann will announce the USA’s 23-player FIFA World Cup roster, which must be submitted to FIFA by June 2. (Klinsmann Discusses 30-Man Roster)
Share your Academy news, comments, photos, links and more using the #OpportunityKnocks hashtag.
ACADEMY QUICK HITS (Weekend of May 10-11):
- West Conference: The Pateadores U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams each earned victories against Real Salt Lake AZ, which leads the Southwest Division at both age groups. At the U-17/18s, Pateadores rallied from a 3-1 deficit to garner a 4-3 victory. Alex Rosales scored the game-winner in the 84th minute. Matthew Merrill had the equalizer and Brian Pacheco scored twice for Pateadores. At the U-15/16s, Ronaldo Escudero scored a fifth-minute goal and Pateadores kept RSL off the score sheet en route to a 1-0 win. It marked only the third loss of the season for both Real Salt Lake AZ teams.
- Central Conference: The Chicago Fire U-17/18s, atop the Mid-America Division, traveled to Minnesota and earned a pair of victories, including a 1-0 win against second-place Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy on Saturday. Collin Fernandez scored the Fire’s lone goal against Shattuck. On Sunday, Oscar Gonzalez, Jeffrey Farina and Alex Underwood each scored during the Fire’s 3-0 win against the Minnesota Thunder, and Chicago improved to 17-1-5 (2.43) this season.
- East Conference: Southeast Division-leading Carolina Rapids U-17/18s scored three unanswered goals to rally for a 3-2 victory against Charlotte Soccer Academy on Saturday. Carolina Rapids was down 2-0 at halftime and on the verge of dropping its second straight match. But the offense picked up after the break as Diego Delacruz, Tanner Roberts and Patrick Nadreas each rattled off goals in an 18-minute span. Andreas’ 75th-minute tally was the winner and his team-leading 22nd of the season as Carolina Rapids improved to 22-5-3 (.230 points per game).
- Academy Player of the Week: Christian Lucatero, a U-15/16 midfielder who has been playing up for the Houston Dynamo U-17/18s for most of the season, scored three goals over the May 3-4 weekend and earned Academy Player of the Week honors. Lucatero scored an equalizer during a 1-1 draw against the Colorado Rush on May 3 and scored both goals during the Houston Dynamo’s 2-0 win against rival Texans SC Houston on May 4.
- Academy Referee of the Week: Jason Blight, a 29-year-old Grade 6 referee from Maryland, was named Academy Referee of the Week for his work during the U-15/16 match between Baltimore Bays Chelsea and Match Fit Chelsea on May 3. Blight has worked Academy matches since 2013.
For all Development Academy results, visit academy.demosphere.com or click on the following links:
U-14 BNT Heads to Croatia for Training Camp: The U.S. Under-14 Boys’ National Team will compete in an international training camp from May 15-25 in Zagreb, Croatia. Eighteen of the 22 players named to the team are currently registered with Development Academy teams. The camp will include matches against Croatia on May 19 and 21, Slovenia on May 22 and a to-be-determined opponent on May 24. Brian Johnson is overseeing the U-14 BNT camp.
Stauffer Joins U.S. Futsal for Four Nations: Former Shattuck-Saint Mary’s Soccer Academy midfielder Lucas Stauffer was named to the U.S. Futsal National Team’s 14-player roster for the upcoming Four Nations Tournament from June 5-8 in Newcastle, England. Head coach Keith Tozer’s squad will open against Qatar on June 5, followed by matches against Cyprus, England and France.
- Release: FC Golden State, Juventus Sport Club Join U-15/16 and U-17/18 Levels in 2014-15
- Release: Academy Postseason Features New Format in Build-Up to July 19 Final
- Release: Top U-13/14 Team to be Rewarded with Trip to 2014 Manchester United Premier Cup
- Video: Academy and YNT Benefit from Head-to-Head Duels
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Philadelphia Union
- Video: Academy Snapshot: Bethesda-Olney
- Video: 2013 Development Academy Winter Showcase Review
- Video: Academy Players Relish Select Game Limelight
- Video: U.S. Soccer Development Academy Launches U-13/14 Division
- Video: Arriola Returns to YNT Picture with U.S. U-20 MNT
- Feature: Q&A with Colorado Rapids Academy Product Shane O’Neill
- Feature: New England Revolution Academy’s Herivaux Basks in First-Team Run
- Feature: U.S. U-18 MNT’s Palmer-Brown Works His Way up Ranks at Sporting
- Feature: Tony Lepore Q&A: Developing Youth Players
- 2014 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Hunter Pinho | Jake Arteaga | Justen Glad | Orrin McKinze Gaines | Quentin Pearson | Jaret Townsend | Jonathan Navarro | Josh Burnett | Sebastian Padua | Elijah Rice | Dembakwi Yomba | Mukwelle Akale | Jackson Yueill | Ben Swanson | Christian Herrera | Justin Vom Steeg | Conor Donovan | Matias Fracchia
- 2013 Opportunity Knocks Videos: Tyler Adams | Jose Carranza | David Chavez | Lucas Del Rosario | Chase Gasper | Edwin Lara | JT Marcinkowski | Shaquell Moore | Maduabuchi Obinwa | Erik Palmer-Brown | Juan Pablo Torres
UPCOMING ACADEMY SCHEDULE:
- 2013-14 Academy Schedule
- Development Academy Regular Season: The Academy weekend features 144 games running from May 17-18. A combined 94 games are scheduled at the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups and 50 matches are set at the U-13/14 level.
- Chicago Fire: Harry Shipp Credits Teammates in Win Against Red Bulls
- Chivas USA: U-17/18s Move Closer to Securing Academy Playoff Berth
- D.C. United: Development Academy Update
- New England Revolution: Academy Teams Go Unbeaten Against Oakwood
- New England Revolution: Boot Room Breakdown: Diego Fagundez (video)
- New England Revolution: Fagundez Gets off the Mark with First Two-Goal Game
- mlssoccer.com: Harry Shipp Voted MLS Player of the Week
- mlssoccer.com: Kelyn Rowe Savors Return After Frustrating Injury Layoff
- mlssoccer.com: Dutch Eredivisie Clubs Lining up for Juan Agudelo
- Top Drawer Soccer: Development Academy Recap