Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) 0, Lansdowne Bhoys (N.Y., Open Division) 2
Lansdowne Bhoys of New York continued their fairy tale debut in the Open Cup with an emphatic 2-0 win against Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Lansdowne were undaunted by another away game in the cup and it showed in their enterprising attacking play. The visitors went forward from the outset and Craig Purcell headed home a free kick from Jimmy Neilis after 10 minutes. The debutants never looked back and the home team faced an uphill climb. The Riverhounds attempted to mount the comeback in the second half but substitute Drew Russell was shown the red card after two bookable offenses in the space of 10 minutes. Bhoys hit the post shortly thereafter and completed their upset after Daryl Kavanagh slotted home the rebound of Oakley Ovan’s shot in the 76th minute. Lansdowne Bhoys will visit Rochester Rhinos in the Third Round on June 1.
Lansdowne Bhoys FC (N.Y., Open Division) at Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL)
Time/Location: 7 p.m. ET; Highmark Stadium; Pittsburgh, Pa.
Lansdowne Bhoys FC Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Second Round: 2016)
Pittsburgh Riverhounds Previous Appearances (Best Finish): 14 appearances (Quarterfinals: 2001)
- Lansdowne Bhoys advanced to the Second Round of the tournament following a 2-1 extra time victory against the Long Island Rough Riders in First Round play on May 11.
- Ovan Oakley put the side ahead 1-0 in eighth minute, but after an equalizer from Long Island, it was Ciaran McGuigan whose 126th minute penalty earned the 2-1 win in extra time.
- Lansdowne Bhoys qualified via the Open Division by defeating Newtown Pride FC 3-0 on October 17 and Worcester FC 5-0 on November 14.
- The Pittsburgh Riverhounds return for their 14th appearance in the tournament after advancing to the fourth round the last two years.
- Pittsburgh sits 0-4-3 so far in USL play this season.