FC Cincinnati (USL) 2, Indy Eleven NPSL (NPSL) 1
Awarded a penalty kick after an Indy Eleven NPSL hand ball in the box, FC Cincinnati’s Omar Cummings converted the spot kick in the 36th minute. Minutes later, Indy Eleven’s Vincent Mitchell equalized to push the score to 1-1 heading into halftime. Straight off the bench in the second half, Cincinnati’s Jimmy McLaughlin grabbed the game-winner in the 61st minute to seal the new USL side’s first-ever U.S. Open Cup victory. FC Cincinnati will travel to play the Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) on June 1.
Indy Eleven NPSL at FC Cincinnati (USL)
Time/Location: 7 p.m. ET; Nippert Stadium; Cincinnati, Ohio
Indy Eleven NPSL Previous Appearances (Best Finish): First appearance (Second Round: 2016)
FC Cincinnati Previous Appearances: First appearance
- Making their first appearance in the tournament, Indy Eleven NPSL advanced to the second round via Vincent Mitchell’s 17th minute strike in a 1-0, weather-delayed victory against the Cincinnati Dutch Lions.
- Indy Eleven NPSL qualified after finishing as a National Semifinalist during the 2015 NPSL season.
- A USL expansion team in 2016, FC Cincinnati makes its first appearance in the competition.
- The team is coached by former U.S. captain John Harkes, who won the Open Cup twice as a member of D.C. United (1996) and Columbus Crew SC (2002).
- Nine matches into the USL season, FC Cincinnati sits 5-2-2, good enough for second place in the league’s Eastern Conference.