Houston Dynamo (MLS) 3, Sporting Kansas City (MLS) 1
The Houston Dynamo left little doubt in their 3-1 U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 win against Sporting Kansas City, holding the advantage from start to finish. Mauro Manotas got the home side off on the right foot in Texas as he found the back of the net in just the seventh minute at BBVA Compass Stadium. Midfielder Alex then doubled the Dynamo’s lead 10 minutes after the break before SKC substitute Brad Davis gave the visitors a glimmer of hope with a 61st minute strike. But, Manotas put the game out of sight in the 84th minute with his second goal of the match to send Houston to a home Quarterfinal date with Texas rivals FC Dallas on July 20.
Houston Dynamo (MLS) vs. Sporting Kansas City (MLS)
Time/Location: 6 p.m. CT; BBVA Compass Stadium; Houston, Texas
Houston Dynamo Best Finish: Semifinals (2006, 2009)
Sporting Kansas City Best Finish: Champions (2004, 2012, 2015)
Broadcast: U.S. Soccer YouTube
- The Houston Dynamo arrived in the Round of 16 via a 4-0 victory against San Antonio FC in Fourth Round play on June 15. Mauro Manotas, Alex, Raul Rodriguez and Leonel Miranda all scored in the win.
- Defending champions Sporting KC outlasted Minnesota United 2-1 in extra time in Fourth Round play on June 15. Benny Feilhaber scored a 65th minute penalty kick before Diego Rubio’s 109th minute winner pushed Sporting to the Round of 16.
- The game is a rematch of last year’s Quarterfinal which Sporting KC won 3-1. Houston took a 1-0 lead through Will Bruin in the 69th minute before Sporting KC pulled three back from Benny Feilhaber (71’), Dom Dwyer (86’) and Krisztian Nemeth (88’) to earn the victory.
- With three all-time tournament titles, Sporting KC is tied with fellow MLS side D.C. United, New York Pancyprian Freedoms and Stix, Baer and Fuller for the third most titles all-time.
- Sporting KC is aiming to become the first club to repeat as U.S. Open Cup champions since Seattle Sounders FC won three straight titles from 2009-2011.
- Sporting KC assistant coach Kerry Zavagnin was part of the club’s first U.S. Open Cup title as a player in 2004.
- The winner of the match will host the winner of FC Dallas/Colorado Rapids in the Quarterfinals on July 19-20.